Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dig

I am now onto reading Joshua Harris' book Dug Down Deep. Love Joshua Harris! Now that I am older I love his books on dating. Now that I am older and will actual read them and take the advise I need to re-read them haha. But this book is about understanding what you believe and why it matters.

He talks about the story about the wise and the foolish builders. And how when most people read this story they think the story was simply about that if you were a Christian, you were the guy who built your house on the rock. If you were not a Christian you were the foolish man who built your house on the sand. But Joshua goes on to talk about what digging down to the rock represents. Jesus started by saying, "Why do you call me Lord but don't do what I say?" Ok well, this is insinuating that He is talking to people who call themselves Christians but don't "build their house on the rock". Hmm...now this story kind of makes me uncomfortable. Because I will be the first to admit that I do call Him Lord but I don't do what He says. All this time, I thought I was the guy who built his house on the rock, when in all reality, I am the foolish one who loves the view of the ocean.

Then Joshua goes on to talk about how it is easy to write off the man who built his house on the sand as a loser, but thats just because we see the outcome of his choice. The guy didn't know he was making a bad decision. It probably made a lot of sense to build his house on the sand. Ocean view, sand for the kids to play in, and he didn't have to break his back digging a whole lot. The Bible never says how long the guy lived there before the storm came. So how can we know that we haven't built our house on sand?

I need to make sure that my house is built on a rock and not sand. But how do I go about doing this? I dig. I dig into His word. Learn theology and doctrine of my faith. Digging involves studying and then putting what I learn into practice.

Thats my challenge for you. Make sure your house is built on the solid rock and not on sand. I think there are more people out there that have their houses on sand and don't even realize it. They are thankful for their ocean front view and not worrying about digging to the rock.

I am just loving this time to be able to read these books, and "dig" into His word! I didn't do any touring today because I got the wrong credit card! But its ok, I have been so blessed with what I have seen that having today to do absolutely NOTHING has been kind of nice. Tomorrow is the Vatican with my American friend Monet! I can take pictures of the museum part but not in the Sistine Chapel. So if you want to see a virtual tour go here.

Love you-
Kellie

1 comment:

Megan said...

So true Kellie, and sometimes some of the sand we have to dig through is what others have told us is the way to do things. I am far too easily led along by people, I often forget to go back to the Bible and be sure what they say to me really does line up with scripture. Sounds like you're learning lots and growing!! :) I can't wait to meet you in person and we can share pictures and stories of God's goodness in a faraway land!!