Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Where to begin. . .

It has been a LONG 2 days! When I finally arrived in Rome I had had about 3 hours of sleep in over 24 hours.

I left the airport in Houston at 4:30pm and arrived in Germany at 1:30am. But in Germany it was around 9am. So the jet lag began. My body was telling me to sleep but it was light outside. The flight to Germany was AWFUL!! My very sweet uncle had told me international flights were wonderful...he was wrong. We were crammed in the plane like sardines...in economy of course. They did play movies but only 2 and they were both ones I wanted to see. Valentines Day was first and about over half way through something went wrong and they had to restart the system! Which meant they started the movie all over again.  I fell asleep before it ended and woke up after they had started the other one. So that was a fail! I was sitting next to a quite large nun - haha. So we were touching the entire trip! And she was grouchy. There was an adorable little Indian boy sitting in front of us and he would stand up and look around. Well if he was in her way - by golly - she would tap him on the shoulder and tell him to sit down! There was a guy across the isle from me who I believe was Muslim. I got to see him pray! He didn't get out of his seat but I noticed his lips moving and he was leaning forward and touching his head to the chair in front of him. Then he would move his arms in a different position and do it again.

I landed in Germany and was exhausted!!  On top of that I was nauseous from the plane ride. My phone wasn't working so I couldn't get a hold of my family. I finally found a pay phone and got a hold of them at 3am states time. And with all the emotions going through my body I burst into tears! Their voice was the only thing that was familiar to me. Now everywhere I went people were talking in a different language and I wasn't sure I liked it.

I had 6 hours to kill. I tried to sleep twice and maybe slept for 30 mins or so. I was VERY anxious so my stomach was in knots and I almost threw up. Not a good way to start a 2 month stint in another country!

Finally my plane left for Rome. I thought it could only get better from here. The plane ride was better and everything. We landed an hour and a half later and I got my bags. Now to find Andrew. There were a ton of people waiting but I finally found him. He's exactly what I expected. Nerdy haha! But very sweet.

You have not seen traffic till you have driven in Rome! It took us a good hour to get home. We get home and I get a real Italian welcome from his Father and Mother! They are precious! They speak English too! But they will only be here till Friday. His wife got home from work about 30 minutes after us and she speaks very little English. I think its going to be the hardest with her. I was exhaused so I went to my little apartment off of the house. I walked in and it has a little kitchenette, bunkbed, and a tiny bathroom! But I am all alone. You can't get to any part of the house except to go outside, so that is good.

Last night was very hard! I am hoping it was because I was so tired but I cried and cried and cried. I miss my family, I can't talk to them on the phone, and I can't understand anybody! But I slept all night long!

Today has been 100% better! The boys are so cute! Alan is the oldest and is very shy! He usually hides from me. but it will get better. Marco on the other hand wants to tell me everything...in Italian! So I just listen and shake me head and smile. This is going to interesting.

Already went to the store because I packed lotion instead of body wash. And I am pretty sure I forgot to wash the conditioner out of my hair this morning. But things can definately only get better right! I am trying not to try and count down the days.

I am not sure how the touring the city thing is going to go because of where they live, which is not close to anything. Rome is nothing like the movies...at least not where we are at.

The streets are crazy tiny though and I am surprised they haven't died by the way they drive!

Sorry this post is so scattered but I don't have a lot of time.

Love you and am in serious need of prayer!
Kellie

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi sweet Kellie - I was so glad to see your blog up date. Now I believe you are going to make it. It was touch and go there for awhile - right. It's amazing what no sleep will do to a person! I am looking forward to hearing about your escapades with the boys and looking at Italy through your eyes. I am constantly praying for you. As you know . . ."God is good - all the time" Love Gma

Megan said...

Awww Kellie I'm so sorry it was such a hard trip!! I'm sure you were mostly tired, I just want to cry when I'm tired. :) I hope you catch up to what's around you fast and enjoy everything!! Take pictures and post some ok?? :)

Paula said...

Just take it a day at a time and try to squeeze every last ounce of joy out of your time there. I can't imagine dealing with a language barrier, I'll be praying for you. Hugs!!! And, thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that today is better. It sounds like you had a rough start. God opened the door for this journey and He will take care of you. Know that we are praying for you. Meredith

Unknown said...

"But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint."
Isaiah 40:31

Carrie Anne said...

hey girly! so glad you made it safe and sound! i think you are so brave for doing this on your own! my best advice to you in immerse yourself in the culture as much as possible. when you do that it really does help you to not miss home so much!

you'll be in my prayers daily! can't wait to read more about your adventures! love you!

Stephanie Frye said...

Hey Kellie, I am happy to hear you are there safe of coarse I heard that the same time I heard you were going to Italy so I didn't have to worry.LOL It is so cool that you are in Italy i have always wanted to go to tuscany for yrs and yrs since i was 9 or something all my reports in Highschool were about Italy I hope you enjoy you adventures there and always rememeber Love is a universal language show them love and you will be good girl. have a blast and I will always be praying for you. Love your Aunt Steph

Sherilyn Lewis said...

Oh, I love this blog! I can keep up with you! You are going to be a great nanny. Know that Kathryn and I are praying for you and we will look forward to more updates!
Love, Sherilyn (Kathryn's mom!)